Update from The Link Family Resource Center
Our mission at The Link Family Resource Center is to foster a safe, healthy, and thriving community by linking children, youth, and families with programs and services to address their unique needs. Our programs remain operational and we are committed to serving families in our community during this unusual time.
The Link Family Advocates are working remotely while schools are closed and in communication with families, school staff and our community partners. We continue to work closely with family support organizations in SLO County to provide resources to families in need and help mitigate the stressors that put children at risk for abuse and neglect. All families, especially those in vulnerable social and economic situations, need our support now.
Please stay informed and connected:
Many community members are out of work due to Shelter-At-Home orders. Families are facing housing insecurity and living with fear and anxiety. Below is information about SLO County renters’ rights during the COVID-19 crisis.
No-Cost COVID-19 Testing Now Available for Any San Luis Obispo County Resident
Any San Luis Obispo County resident can now get tested for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in about five minutes at sites in Paso Robles and Grover Beach. Testing is available at no cost to individuals.
WHEN: By appointment, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
WHERE: Two locations:
- Paso Robles Veteran’s Center, 240 Scott Street in Paso Robles
- Ramona Garden Park Center, 993 Ramona Avenue in Grover Beach
WHO: Testing is available to any resident who would like to be tested.
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT: Visit emergencySLO.org/statetesting or call 888-634-1123.
Learn more at, https://www.slocounty.ca.gov/Departments/Health-Agency/Public-Health/Department-News/COVID-19-Updates/No-Cost-COVID-19-Testing-Now-Available-for-Any-San.aspx
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 the Emergency Services Director for San Luis Obispo County issued a Shelter at Home Order for the County of San Luis Obispo. This order was updated on March 21, 2020. Please learn more here in English and Spanish, https://www.emergencyslo.org/en/shelter-at-home-order.aspx
Dignity Health is providing a Community COVID-19 Hotline.
The lines are staffed Monday through Friday 8am – 8pm, and weekends 8am – 4:30pm. If calling after hours, leave a message and the call will be returned as soon as possible. For more information visit,
National Health Information: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
COVID-19 information and resources for San Luis Obispo County can be found here, https://www.emergencyslo.org/en/covid19.aspx
Food delivery support for seniors, disabled individuals, those with health issues that cannot leave their home, and mental health resources: Food Delivery Resources & Mental Health Support
Link Family Resource Center Staff
- Please contact a Family Advocate (see below) if you need assistance navigating resources, and/or have questions about Medi-Cal, Public Charge and Family Earnings. Download Link Family Advocate Chart here.
Family Support Resources:
- For parenting resources and support visit Parent Connection of San Luis Obispo County or call directly to schedule a free, confidential parent coaching session by phone:
- North County & Coast, Bill Spencer: 805-904-1411
- South County & San Luis Obispo, Ron Huxley: 805-709-2323
- Countywide Spanish Coaching, Bessy Hoffman: 805-712-5038
- Information & Questions, Gwen Garcia: 805-543-3700
- For family resources and support in Spanish, please call the Promotores Collaborative of San Luis Obispo County Program Coordinator Fernanda Lucas at (805) 462-7135. The Promotores continue providing interpretation for Monolingual families at all the Behavioral Health Clinics of San Luis Obispo County. They are also assisting at Food Bank Distribution at North County sites.
- Please check with your School District website for accurate information about closures in your community.
- Free meals for children 0 – 18 in SLO County. Drive through location information in English and Spanish. https://www.slofoodbank.org/food-locator/
- Free Internet for families. Charter-Spectrum is offering free access to broadband and WiFi services to households with students who do not already have the services. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households. For More Information visit the following website: https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/coronavirus-covid-19-information-spectrum-customers
- Pregnancy & Parenting Support of SLO County serves families with children 0 – 2 years old and is open by appointment only. Call the office at 805-541-3367, leave a message and they will call back to schedule an appointment. Supplies available include diapers, wipes, formula, infant and toddler clothing and more.
- School Readiness First 5 San Luis Obispo County: This program works with families with children ages 0 – 5 in North County and South County.
- Yesenia Silvas, First 5 Family Advocate in Oceano, (805) 474-3000, extension 1212. Please leave a message and she will call you back.
- Marilu Gomez, First 5 School Readiness Site Coordinator in Paso Robles, Please text her at (805) 423-8035 and she will respond.
- The SAFE Family Resource Centers continue to be available for communities by working remotely.
- Arroyo Grande Family Resource Center. Call Jessica Baza at (805) 474-3000 ex. 11214
- Nipomo Family Resource Center. Call Karina Ayala at (805) 540-4147
- Oceano Family Resource Center. Call Stella Medina at (805) 474-3000 ex. 11213
- For more information about referring families, please visit this document.
Our COVID-19 message on The Link website will be updated as new information emerges. Please check our website and follow us on Facebook to gain access to current resources and information for children and families.
Guided by the recommendations of the WHO, CDC and the SLO County Public Health Department, The Link will remain updated on information related to COVID-19 in order to make informed decisions about how we can keep our community safe, healthy and supported.
Thank you for your ongoing support for The Link Family Resource Center and, our dedicated Family Advocates, and all the families we serve in San Luis Obispo County. Together we ensure that strong, healthy families are a community priority.
Lisa Fraser, Executive Director
The Link Family Resource Center